When I became Bishop of Kingston in 2002, I returned to the area of my childhood. Although I was born in Leicester I was brought up in Surbiton and attended Kingston Grammar School between 1966 and 1974, becoming Captain of the School and playing hockey for the 1st XI for four years. I also led the Christian Union and went to various young people’s groups in the parish of Christ Church, Surbiton.
- 1974 – won an Open Exhibition to Corpus Christi College Oxford to read Physics and Philosophy. I was an Oxford Hockey Blue and an under-19 player for England as well as representing British Universities.
- 1977 – graduated in 1977 and stayed at Corpus Christi to take a Post-Graduate Certificate in Education
- 1978 – taught science at a large comprehensive school in Richmond, North Yorkshire
- 1980 – Assistant Physics Master at Eton College, Windsor before
- 1983 – Investment analyst in London with Legal & General